As Christmas draws ever closer, I’m a bit salty that we don’t have a lot of magical girl news this week. Someone obviously didn’t get the memo that Magical Girls are the gift that keeps on giving. But here are a few notables in the world of magical girls that may be of interest to you!
- The first batch of US movie theatres have been announced for showings of the Sailor Moon R movie next month, which more theatres to be announced at a later date. In addition, there will be a one-night premiere at the Ace Hotel Theatre in Los Angeles on January 13th. I hope Canadian movie theatres are announced in the next batch, though. I’m already salty enough as it is.
- The final episode of Magical Girl Raising Project airs tomorrow, and I’m not sure that I’m ready. But if the Dark Magical Girl trend is any indication, something soon will surely take its place.
- I’ve begun to watch Mahotsukai PreCure, the last iteration of the franchise. I really like – it’s got a good balance of action and kawaii, something desperately needed after eleven weeks of Magical Girl Raising Project. Granted, I’m only on episode 3, but it’s still enjoyable. While PreCure (Pretty Cure) is popular in Japan, it hasn’t garnered much attention outside of it (we’re just gonna ignore Glitter Force). I hope to write about it soon!
- Anime news website Goboiano is reporting that the Little Witch Academia TV series will have two series (or “cours”), which will be aired in the Winter and Summer 2017 seasons, respectively. As long as the series is good and consistent, I will be happy. But yay for two seasons!
- Gainax West has announced the return of the rowdy magical girl series “Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt” – sort of. The studio, an offshoot of Gainax located in Kobe, states that there will be an exhibition featuring the angels with a bad attitude, a new product, and a limited-time pop-up cafe. Does this mean that their trying to bring the series back? Who knows…but I’m sure this will nonetheless make fans very happy.
And there you have it! A quick run down of the happens in the land of Magical Girls this week. Next week, I will be celebrating the holidays with my son, so there will be no postings again until January (and I’m sure that means there will be a much longer post).
Until then, Stay Magical and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!